RE: [decentralization] Re: p2p working group/standards

  • Jeffrey Kay
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 16, 2001
      Excellent note, Damien (complete note at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/decentralization/message/1406). I'm very
      pleased with the way that the working group is evolving. The Steering
      Committee meeting was very productive -- we're tackling the issues of a
      charter, next meeting, coordinated actions with other working groups (W3C,
      IETF), etc. Most important to all of us is reaching a critical mass of
      membership -- we need to bring together advocates and developers of peer
      technology to begin to discuss the important issues -- interoperability,
      namespaces, intermediaries, security, etc. I'm confident that this group
      will emerge as an effective organization to bring to light the issues of
      peer technology.

      If you have any questions about the group, feel free to contact me, Damien,
      or anyone else on the group.

      jeffrey kay <jkay@...>
      chief technology officer, engenia software, inc.
      "first get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure" -- mark
      twain
      "golf is an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle"
      -- sports illustrated
      "if A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X is
      work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." -- albert einstein

      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben