Re: [decentralization] Re: p2p working group/standards

  • Sylvia Ratnasamy
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 15, 2001
      Thanks for the comments.

      > You mention the fact that Napster has a centralized directory as
      > being a problem for scalability. Actually, napster is scalable
      > *because* it has a centralized metadata directory. Even in the

      I totally agree.. i think our point was not that Napster does not
      scale but rather that beyond a point it is expensive to scale
      a centralized solution (rack space, fat pipes, heavy duty servers etc).
      On the other hand, solutions like Gnutella and Freenet can scale
      without requiring any up front investment.
      This is just a point of differentiation and is
      not meant as a criticism of Napster-style p2p systems (accompanied by a
      sound business model, expensive infrastructure solutions make
      sense; for example Akamai and Inktomi)

      > Finally, the hashtable approach in a query is only going to allow
      > lookups that are an exact match (which is why it's appropriate for

      True, one would have to design a keyword search mechanism over our
      indexing system. This is a problem that needs to be addressed in a system
      like Freenet too, and is one we're currently working on.

      Sylvia
    • Ben Houston
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben