Re: [decentralization] p2p working group/standards

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 14, 2001
      >>Napster used some basic standards, but I bet he didn't sit down and say
      "We need some standards for this".

      That's true, I interviewed Fanning in the midst of the boom last spring, and
      asked him about that. He's not the type of person who stops and asks for
      permission. If he were he wouldn't have done Napster.

      Dave
    • Ben Houston
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben