Re: [decentralization] RE: p2p working group/standards

    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 14, 2001
      In article <Pine.NEB.4.31.0102131549300.14391-100000@...>,
      Lucas Gonze <lgonze@...> writes
      >I don't mean to make a blanket statement against centralized directories,
      >but rather to say that AFAIK there are no decentralized service
      >directories.

      There are shades of grey here. Arguably DNS and UDDI are a bit de-
      centralized service directories, (esp UDDI) because they have open
      mechanisms built into to replicate the index to multiple servers. Anyone
      can run a local DNS server and in theory anyone could run a local UDDI
      server.

      --
      Julian Bond mail:julian@...
      workurl:http://www.netmarketseurope.com
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben