Re: [decentralization] RE: p2p working group/standards

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 13, 2001
      I think P2P infrastructure, if there ever is such a thing, should be open
      and documented with lots of choice.

      No one religion, no one right way to do it, no one who is holier than all
      others.

      The knee-jerk that everything open source is better than everything else is
      a reality distortion field.

      The Internet can't be contained by one OS, one language, or one economic
      system.

      BTW, to Clay, I don't want to be Pope, thank you; and I don't want to be
      killed, please.

      Dave

      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben