Re: [decentralization] RE: p2p working group/standards

    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 13, 2001
      > It appears that the discussion is becoming centralized peer discovery vs.
      > completely decentralized discovery. Neither is optimal. If they were we'd
      > all be using one or the other. The question is: in what circumstances is one
      > preferable to the other?

      I don't mean to make a blanket statement against centralized directories,
      but rather to say that AFAIK there are no decentralized service
      directories.

      - Lucas
    • Ben Houston
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben