Re: [decentralization] RE: p2p working group/standards

  • Chris Cummer
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 13, 2001
      Lucas Gonze wrote:

      > Are you seriously suggesting that decentralized lookups are only for static
      > resources, Clay?
      >
      > Think of a CPU sharing app that sends out a message saying "I need a node that
      > already has foo applet installed". Popular Power might do this, for example.
      > Decentralized service discovery is a practical need.

      I don't get the impression that that's what he was suggesting at all.

      It appears that the discussion is becoming centralized peer discovery vs.
      completely decentralized discovery. Neither is optimal. If they were we'd
      all be using one or the other. The question is: in what circumstances is one
      preferable to the other?

      To extend your example above I'd suggest to you that the machine needing the
      help would benefit from a centralized directory of available machines who
      have extra cycles to spare. If part of the information in the directory was
      the processing capabilities of the machine and what they were charging for
      those cycles (yeah, yeah, theoretical perfect payment system) then a quick
      search would allow the requesting machine the ability to quickly target its
      query.

      Cheers,
      Chris Cummer

      SeƱor Programmer,
      openCOLA http://www.opencola.com
    • Ben Houston
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben