RE: [decentralization] RE: p2p working group/standards

    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 13, 2001
      Are you seriously suggesting that decentralized lookups are only for static
      resources, Clay?

      Think of a CPU sharing app that sends out a message saying "I need a node that
      already has foo applet installed". Popular Power might do this, for example.
      Decentralized service discovery is a practical need.

      Today's theme song: http://www.punkbands.com/lyrics/bands/ramones/stuff1.htm#27

      - Lucas

      > But Lucas, there's no point in _not_ locking into a centralized
      > directory, if that's helpful. Decentralization is better as a tool
      > than a goal, and as Napster has showed us, sometimes being
      > 'decentralized enough' is better than being completely decentralized,
      > if your goal is making things easy for users rather than ideological
      > perfection.
      >
      > This isn't either/or -- pick your metaphor. In a democracy, voting is
      > decentralized but the presidency is not; in an ant colony, work is
      > decentralized but reproduction is not; in a body, nerve cells are
      > decentralized but brain calls are not, and on and on.
      >
      > The lesson of decentralization is not that it is always and everywhere
      > good but that some decentralization is better than pure centralization
      > in many ways, and how much decentralization to have varies by
      > application.
      >
      > -clay

    • Ben Houston
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben