Re: [decentralization] RE: p2p working group/standards

  • Clay Shirky
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 13, 2001
      > > 1. ability to autonomously publish a named resource location
      > >
      > > 2. ability to reliably locate redundant instances of a named resource

      > The lookup service itself has to be decentralized. There's no point
      > in locking in to a centralized directory.

      But Lucas, there's no point in _not_ locking into a centralized
      directory, if that's helpful. Decentralization is better as a tool
      than a goal, and as Napster has showed us, sometimes being
      'decentralized enough' is better than being completely decentralized,
      if your goal is making things easy for users rather than ideological
      perfection.

      This isn't either/or -- pick your metaphor. In a democracy, voting is
      decentralized but the presidency is not; in an ant colony, work is
      decentralized but reproduction is not; in a body, nerve cells are
      decentralized but brain calls are not, and on and on.

      The lesson of decentralization is not that it is always and everywhere
      good but that some decentralization is better than pure centralization
      in many ways, and how much decentralization to have varies by
      application.

      -clay
    • Ben Houston
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben