RE: [decentralization] p2p working group/standards

    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 13, 2001
      > that a lot of us are building the same components over and
      > over again with almost zero portability.

      That's exactly what I mean.

      I think that a standard a la W3C doesn't make sense. There are too few common design
      patterns to just standardize the schema, or handshake, or plugin API.

      On the other hand the current situation is really unproductive. It is a lot of work
      to do the basics right. If you are aiming to meet a narrow, targetted need it should
      be possible without inventing a cosmology.

      For example, I would really like to make the reputation management components of
      WorldOS available to projects based on other infrastructures, but it is impossible.
      That way I can get away from general infrastructure, which I don't have the resources
      to win at, and focus on a narrow, clear niche. I have a consulting client in the
      exact same position. He has a way cool thing and needs to be able to hook it up to
      multiple P2P platforms.

      I think that starting with requirements gathering in the way Dan Moniz has been doing
      is a workable approach. There doesn't need to be One True Language, just something
      better than the current tower of babel.

      - Lucas
    • Ben Houston
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben