Re: [decentralization] p2p working group/standards

  • Wesley M. Felter
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 13 10:10 AM
      On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Justin Chapweske wrote:

      > Yeah, we use local multicast discovery in Swarmcast to quickly find local
      > nodes. We are using a modified version of the JINI multicast discovery
      > protocol for now because SLP seems rather large at first glance.

      I can understand that; SLP has a lot of features.

      > Wes has heard me bitch about this before, but personally I'd prefer a good
      > socket multiplexing protocol than an XML multiplexing protocol.

      IIRC, BXXP *is* a bytestream mux protocol; you don't have to format your
      messages in XML. Control messages used to set up connections and channels
      are in XML, but I doubt that's even visible to the programmer.

      Also in response to Dan, I wasn't really talking about BXXP in my
      message; Invisible Worlds also has a P2P message routing system built on
      top of BXXP; they say it's for IM but that's a front. If it goes through
      the IETF, then anyone who uses a different P2P routing protocol will
      likely be accused of not supporting standards...

      Wesley Felter - wesf@... - http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/wesf/
    • Ben Houston
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20 1:37 AM
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben