RE: [decentralization] RE: p2p working group/standards

    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 13, 2001
      > How decentralized? Are DNS NAPTR and SRV records not enough?
      > UDDI? JINI? I'd like to hear about other
      > people's requirements. Here are mine:
      >
      > 1. ability to autonomously publish a named resource location
      >
      > 2. ability to reliably locate redundant instances of a named resource

      The lookup service itself has to be decentralized. There's no point in locking in to
      a centralized directory. So:

      ability to find a decentralized service in a decentralized manner.

      > The only value of IETF and W3C standards lies in the reference
      > implementations. Give me implementations first please.
      > Standards later.

      Before implementations, I vote for a list of requirements, which is what we are doing
      here.

      - Lucas
    • Ben Houston
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben