p2p working group/standards

  • Damien Stolarz
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 12, 2001
      Hello, I'm Damien from static.com.

      A lot of people who I informally surveyed at the recent p2p
      working group didn't think it was even time to standardize p2p
      and many said it was also bad to try to formalize p2p into
      categories and standards that might inhibit new p2p apps we
      haven't thought of yet.

      My questions to this community are:

      1) What is needed (or wanted) by most p2p developers that
      would actually be worth standardizing?
      2) Are there any "plumbing" or mundane tasks, that every app
      could benefit from?
      3) are there any other things aspects in or surrounding p2p that
      should be standardized, interoperable or compatible?
    • Ben Houston
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben