Re: [decentralization] Is peak bandwidth a scarce resource?

  • Jim McCoy
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 5, 2001
      At 10:02 PM 1/30/01 -0500, Clay Shirky wrote:
      > > [...how to allocate overloaded local bandwidth...]
      >
      >That having been said, I think there are three ways to allocate
      >bandwidth during a /. effect; call the three Wait, Share, and Pay.

      This is a decent analysis of the situation at a macro level within a
      network system, but these are not the options available locally. There is
      no difference between "wait" and "share" because they are in fact the same
      solution for all but two P2P systems, Mojo Nation and the EDonkey 2000
      Gnutella client (the only ones which allow for parallel downloads of
      files.) In all other cases the local agent cannot get around the fact that
      the data it is trying to share has not yet been replicated, because if it
      had been you would have been directed elsewhere at the start.

      Don't confuse the local decision-making process with system-wide
      distribution and load balancing. If I and thirty others connect to your
      host to try to download a MP3 file via Napster then all thirty-one of us
      are going to share the bandwidth (the "wait" solution) and not until one of
      us has completed the download and reported back to the central servers can
      others who might have been directed to your PC be sent elsewhere.

      At the local level, "pay" is not an option because no one is actually
      implementing it (not even us, I do wish you would base your analysis of our
      effort on more than a cursory skimming of an out of date FAQ...) By having
      the tools available we can implement this sort of a system quickly using a
      PMP model to allow agents to bump themselves to the front of the line, but
      until it is necessary there are easier ways to get around the problem.

      jim mccoy
      AZI/Mojo Nation