7168Re: [decentralization] directional motion

    May 17, 2014
      I sometimes feel like a participant in the American Revolution, 25 years later, looking back.

      Maybe there was a finite opening phase in computing, where standards drove the agenda and ideals of decentralization were widely shared.

      On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 7:34 PM, Clay Shirky clay@... [decentralization] <decentralization@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > If it was true, where did Facebook come from after we had packet switching?

      And why did radio licensing get designed to favor a small number of large stations instead of a large number of small stations?

      Tim Wu's book, The Big Switch, documents the constant swinging between open and closed over centuries of work on communications networks.

      -c

      On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 3:03 AM, Johannes Ernst jernst@... [decentralization] <decentralization@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On May 16, 2014, at 11:33, Lucas Gonze lucas@... [decentralization] <decentralization@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      https://twitter.com/naval/status/466542522995441664

      The trend towards decentralized, open systems is strictly one-way. It
      doesn't always happen, but when it does, it's irreversible.

      I have a really hard time believing that one.

      If it was true, where did Facebook come from after we had packet switching?

      Cheers,

      Johannes.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic