7154Re: [decentralization] Indie Box

  • Vincent
    May 8, 2014
      Another function of app stores is to identify developers in such a way that they can be held accountable for malware.  This article about Apple's App Store impressed me.

      It was discussed on slashdot.

      The Apple model works fairly well.  We need a way to decentralize trust and accountability, which includes dispute resolution and the ability to file claims for monetary damages caused by malware, and the ability for authors to file claims against pirates who copy their apps in violation of the license.  We need a dispute resolution system that works outside of the courts, a low cost system that is decentralized and works on the Internet.

      -Vincent

      On May 8, 2014, at 1:55 PM, Lucas Gonze <lucas@...> wrote:

      Does an app store have meaning for web apps? Or is it a way to ease problems unique to native apps, like virus control and download hosting?

      On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Johannes Ernst <jernst@...> wrote:
      An app store has different functions.
      1. show available products -- that can be easily decentralized aka this is the web, but it favors the big guys as they can invest in marketing, and the little ones can't
      2. rate products -- less easily decentralized
      3. billing, collection, refunds etc -- hard to do in a decentralized fashion unless the customer likes to enter credit cards in tons of places and get lots of different bills from different places
      4. => most important: the infrastructure -- not easily decentralized at all
         a. to get the app from some distribution server onto the customer's device
         b. to update the app with new versions

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic