7072Re: [decentralization] up/down bandwidth price discrepancy

  • Rich Persaud
    Jun 28, 2010
      On 6/28/2010 9:49 PM, Sampo Syreeni wrote:

      That sort of asymmetry is much deeper than what you say, and I've never
      seen it explained in full.

      From http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/2009/10/03/why-up-is-slower-than-down :

      ".. we download faster than we upload because of economics, not physics. The economics are those of telephone and cable companies. Their business models assumed the value of the Net came from the content they deliver to us. The business models got written into a physical infrastructure that favors downloads over uploads.

      ... “Asymmetry is a belief system. The purveyors of connections looked at the Internet and saw TV, then acted according to what they saw.” "
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic