6967Re: [decentralization] Generalizing Peer Production into the Physical World

  • Clay Shirky
    Nov 5, 2007
      > Can peer production really extend into the physical world, or does it
      > rely on special features of the digital world?

      ...or, as a third thesis, will the physical world increasingly take on
      the features of the digital world?

      An increasing number of physical activities are becoming so
      data-centric that the physical aspects are simply executional steps at
      the end of a chain of digital manipulation. Cemex and Zara, the cement
      and fashion companies, both re-tooled their working methods around
      rapid handling of data. ZeroPrestige design kites with CAD, and has
      them built overseas after perfecting a design. Gold Corp in Canada let
      users figure out where they should dig next, using the geologic data
      they exposed. Nokia increasingly ship phones with user-accesible APIs,
      making them one of a growing class of object-oriented objects.

      And so on.

      I think peer production, at least as Yochai has described it, requires
      the flexibility and economics of the digital, but an increasing number
      of physical processes have significantly digital components.

      -clay

      > Is peer production really an exception to the rules, or is it a new name
      > for an old thing?
      >
      > -Lucas
      >
      > (BTW, Christian worked for me a little ways back. He was a stellar
      > developer and overall very sharp guy, so I'm inclined to give the
      > benefit of the doubt to this project).
      >
      > Alen Peacock wrote:
      > > Centrally planned economies
      > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_economy) form a simple analog to
      > > centralized system architectures. In that regard, truly decentralized
      > > (p2p) systems share much more in common with the free market than do
      > > their conterparts.
      > >
      > > But AFAIK, central control isn't limited to communism: cartel/monopoly
      > > power is similarly centralized, or at least "highly concentrated."
      > >
      > > I should disclaim "IANAE," where E=economist, so feel free to correct
      > > my broad generalizing (or forgive if I'm just stating the obvious).
      > >
      > > Alen
      > >

      > > On Nov 4, 2007 3:57 PM, Scott Feamster <sf@...> wrote:
      > >> Dear all,
      > >>
      > >> In his book Christian Siefkes argues that peer economies (sharing and
      > >> cooperation) are better than market economies (property and competition).
      > >> Siefkes also asserts that capitalism is drudgery whereas peer production is
      > >> fun.
      > >>
      > >> However, history has already proven that market/capitalist economies are
      > >> better than peer/communist economies, except for communist party bosses.
      > >> Were communist gulags fun?
      > >>
      > >> Additionally, market economies allow for voluntary peer economies within
      > >> them. Communist economies are command and control.
      > >>
      > >> I think Siefkes arguments support market/capitalist economies despite his
      > >> protests. What do you think?
      > >>
      > >> In pursuit of wisdom,
      > >> Scott
      >

      > Announce or discover P2P conferences on the P2P Conference Wiki at
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic