6880Workshop on Dependable and Sustainable Peer-to-Peer Systems

  • Sam Joseph
    Oct 10, 2005
      [CALL FOR PAPERS]

      The First International Workshop on Dependable and Sustainable Peer-to-Peer
      Systems (DAS-P2P 2006) is the first workshop which focuses on dependability
      and sustainability of P2P systems, with respect to their designs,
      operations,
      applications and social impacts.

      Peer-to-Peer (P2P) can be a promising technology on which we can depend
      lives
      of ours and our children, upon which we can build sustainable societies.
      Designs of P2P systems are characterized by their usage of overlay networks
      such that there is symmetry in the roles among participants. This implies
      distribution of authorities, not only preventing introduction of single
      points
      of failure, but also assuring a level of autonomy which allows many of
      us to
      spontaneously start, maintain, or recover from failures of, such systems.

      Although difficulties exist, such as uncertainty in the trust among
      participants, one needs to be aware that such difficulties are, in many
      parts,
      due to our own human nature; depending on P2P is, in fact and literally,
      depending on ourselves and our friends, which seem to be the only ones
      we can
      trust anyway, when it comes to our own survival.

      The goal of this workshop is to share experiences, insights and new
      ideas, and
      set forth research agendas and suggestive future directions by
      collaborations
      among researchers with different disciplines and with similar interests
      toward
      dependability and sustainability.

      The following is a non-exhaustive list of relevant topics:

      ** Designs and operations of dependable and sustainable P2P systems
      - Self-organization and emergence
      - Attack-resistance
      - Fault tolerance
      - Sustainable operations
      - Sustainable mutual trust
      - Sustainable reciprocal relationships

      ** Applications and social impacts of dependable and sustainable P2P
      systems
      - Sustainable economy
      - Sustainable governance
      - Sustainable lifestyles
      - Rescue activities
      - Post-catastrophic recovery
      - Tackling environmental problems

      The program of the workshop will be a combination of invited talks, paper
      presentations and discussions.

      [SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS]

      The workshop invites your contributions of previously unpublished
      papers, which
      will be selected based on their originality, technical merit and topical
      relevance. Papers will also be selected by the likelihood that they will
      lead
      to interesting and fruitful discussions at the workshop.

      Your contributions should be formatted acoording to the IEEE Computer
      Society
      Press Proceedings Author Guidelines: 10-point Times, single-spaced,
      two-column
      format (see http://www.tinmith.net/tabletop2006/IEEE/Format/instruct.htm
      for
      detail). Each of your contributions should not exceed 8 pages.

      See the workshop web site (http://das-p2p.wide.ad.jp/) for the submission
      procedure.

      [PUBLICATION]

      Proceedings of the workshop will be published by IEEE Computer Society
      Press.

      [IMPORTANT DATES]

      Paper submission due: December 4th, 2005
      Notification of acceptance: January 15th, 2006
      Camera-ready copies due: February 1st, 2006
      Author registration due: February 1st, 2006
      Workshop: April 20th-22nd, 2006 (exact date is to be decided)

      [REGISTRATION]

      Workshop registration will be handled by the ARES 2006 organization along
      with the main conference registration.

      [ORGANIZING COMMITTEE]

      Program co-chairs:

      Yusuke Doi
      Communication Platform Laboratory, Corporate R&D Center,
      TOSHIBA Corporation
      1 Komukai-Toshiba-Cho, Saiwai-Ku, Kawasaki
      Kanagawa 212-8582 Japan

      Youki Kadobayashi
      Graduate School of Information Science
      Nara Institute of Science and Technology
      Takayama 8916-5, Ikoma
      Nara 630-0192 Japan

      Kenji Saito (main contact)
      Graduate School of Media and Governance