6786Re: [decentralization] Re: Mobility Architecture -- feedback

  • Johannes Ernst
    Sep 6, 2004
      Lucas, on your question: there's a gaping hole in the market, which is
      an understanding what all the bits and pieces are that are needed to
      truly deploy mobile software. I don't mean deploying the equivalent of
      the biorhythm software on a PC for those of us old enough to recall --
      there was a real "market" for that kind of software at some point in
      the PC's baby years (which is sort of what we have today on mobile
      devices), but "real" mobile software. Before there is shared
      understanding of what those bits and pieces are there is no fixing
      them, and that's what we'd like to help with. (Your complaint about not
      having a decentralized dev stack is another symptom of the malaise I'm
      talking about -- there isn't even a centralized one if our list of
      requirements is in any way correct)

      Users, today, are spending about half a trillion dollars each year
      (yes!) on their mobile phones. But the mobile software market is, well,
      nowhere close. Is it because there is no need for software wherever I
      go with my mobile device? [Personally, I doubt it.] Is it because the
      devices are underpowered? [Opinions on this one may differ, but people
      routinely buy digital cameras with an order of magnitude of more memory
      than comparable phones -- go figure.] We'd like to help this market
      along and hopefully win a slice of the opportunity.

      If you read what most vendors offering technology in this space have to
      say, in our view, it tends to fall woefully short of the full picture.
      (But then, the beauty of having a public requirements document is that
      those very vendors can comment on why they think most of our
      requirements aren't needed). But if our still-growing list of
      requirements is more or less needed -- and the public discourse in
      places like this one supports this -- then at a very minimum, people
      who want to make mobility real, people who want to make investments of
      time, sweat, money, whatever, for whatever reasons, have a (shared)
      point of departure. E.g. research still needed. Products still needed.
      Assumptions that need to be proven. Open interfaces that need to be
      built. Changes to the stack that need to be made. Etc.

      Depending on how much or little input we get, we might change tack and
      just forge ahead ourselves along the lines of "if the rest of the
      market doesn't care what the real requirements are, the better for us,
      commercially". But we'd rather collaborate, we'd rather forge some sort
      of consensus, which better reflects our way of doing business, and the
      opportunity is so large there's enough $$$ and fame and code and
      whatever everyone's motivation is for all of us ... and we might very
      well get there together first ...

      Does this make sense?

      >> What interests us (Joaquin and me) most is what impact these emerging
      >> layers in the networking/communications stack have on software
      >> architecture. E.g. the process of "create JAR, identify JDBC data
      >> source, put on app server" does not really work any more ... so what
      >> are the requirements that impact what the "new" architecture needs to
      >> be?
      > A thing that I didn't understand from your requirements document is why
      > this needs to change.
      > For myself, I have to say that I despair about a more decentralized dev
      > stack for mobile apps, at least in the short term.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic