6781Re: Mobility Architecture -- feedback

  • Johannes Ernst
    Sep 4, 2004
      Andrew, thanks for your comments. I knew some people on this list would
      have something to say ;-)

      > One thing that is not covered is P2P with mobile devices, you seem more
      > focused on client/server.

      Hmm, I'm not sure I see that. Do I misunderstand you?

      [We have a specific section in there titled "Enables decentralized
      development, deployment and operation", which I'd think of as some of
      the core characteristics of P2P software. It also explicitly asks for
      P2P support in "Supports a large variety of types of software". And
      under "Federatability" we say it would desirable that: "Many parts of
      the architecture can developed, deployed, operated and maintained by
      many different individuals and organizations. This is the opposite of
      requiring a centralized entity that is responsible for all aspects of
      the system."]

      Note: this is requirements doc, not a solutions doc.

      > It would be nice to have a device that can oppourtunisticaly network
      > with
      > other devices providing a communication system that while slow should
      > provide a close to zero cost for message delivery.

      I take this as you are asking for mesh networking support?

      I'll add that ... good point.

      > Such a system would only be useful where the messages are not critical
      > yet
      > where persistant contact paths exist its convienience and non-reliance
      > on
      > infrastructure would be beneficial.
      >
      > Protocol would be of the form 'if you see person x let them know y',
      > hashes
      > of short messages and their destination could be broadcast with
      > recievers
      > checking the destination against previous contact paths. If free space
      > allows the reciever could request the message on a best try basis. As
      > storage and unit use densities increase this method will work better.
      >
      > cya, Andrew...
      >
      >> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:30:20 -0700
      >> From: Johannes Ernst <jernst@...>
      >> Subject: Re: Mobility Architecture -- feedback?
      >>
      >> Decentralizers,
      >>
      >> based on the server logs, I think quite a few of you seem to have
      >> looked at this paper since we posted it.
      >>
      >> But the feedback has been, shall we say, sparse. This is one of the
      >> highest-IQ mailing lists that I am aware of anywhere, with lots of
      >> people who have related experience (and opinions!). After
      >> all, mobile
      >> user behavior is about as decentralized as it gets -- and how to
      >> support such decentralized behavior is one of the core challenges of
      >> mobile software technology in my view.
      >>
      >> What can we do to challenge you so you will send e-mail and disagree
      >> with us on this paper? ;-)
      >>
      >> We are sincerely interested in your positive and negative
      >> feedback. Can
      >> we get some more?
      >>
      >> The URL again:
      >> http://netmesh.info/blog/NetMesh/Mobility-Architecture-Require
      >> ments.html
      >>

      >> Cheers,
      >>

      >> Johannes.

      > information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be
      > copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are
      > not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and
      > any attachment and all copies and inform the sender. Thank you.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic