6640Re: [decentralization] Dynamic Networking

  • Paul Prescod
    Apr 25, 2004
      Lucas Gonze wrote:

      > On Saturday, Apr 24, 2004, at 21:52 America/New_York, Paul Prescod
      > wrote:
      >
      >>These features all hold regardless of whether the URI has a syntax
      >>starting with "http://" or "uuid:" You can choose to use an anycast
      >>model for HTTP URIs, you can have multiple authoritiative sources for
      >>HTTP URIs (haven't you ever used Google's cache as more authoritiative
      >>than the referenced domain?) etc.
      >

      > For a name that isn't an address, what advantage does a name that
      > starts with http:// have?

      1. The ability to _become_ an address months or years after the name has
      been deployed. For instance, XML namespaces have started to sprout RDDL
      documents years after they were first let out into the wild.

      2. The ability to point at its own documentation: "The URI you have
      dereferenced does not have any machine readable content but you may be
      curious about what that URI means. Here's what I know about it." This is
      also very common in the XML world: where there isn't a RDDL document at
      the end of a URI, there is often an HTML document.

      I know I've plugged UUIDs into Google to figure out what they mean, but
      that's a hit or miss proposition. Dereferencing HTTP URIs is much more
      reliable. Having the opportunity to do both is ideal. e.g. you can
      either dereference the HTML 4 namespace URI or Google it.

      [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/

      [2]
      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=%22%2Bwww.w3.org/TR/html4/%22

      Paul Prescod