6630Re: [decentralization] Dynamic Networking

    Apr 23, 2004
      Justin Chapweske <justin@...> wrote:
      >Now, the last piece of this whole thing is HTTP proxying and caching.
      >Now, even after mentioning earlier how DNS/HTTP-based URIs may have
      >certain limitations, this all goes out the window when you consider HTTP
      >caching semantics.

      >If you need dynamic networking on a LAN, use zeroconf. If
      >you need dynamic networking among publicly addressable servers, use
      >DNS. If you need dynamic networking to NAT'd nodes, then use URIs and
      >HTTP. No matter which route you take, the code in the end-application
      >is largely the same - it understands IP, DNS, and URIs.

      A thought here. I've been using Skype a lot recently. The one big USP
      about Skype is not the encryption, it's decentralised nature, the voice
      quality or the cheap voice calls. It's that it *just works*. I've yet to
      come cross anyone who didn't just install it and have it work regardless
      of what firewall or NAT environment they're in. This is in marked
      contrast to every other voice/video system I've tried. What's remarkable
      about this is that they've done it without using a bank of high powered
      proxies with lots of bandwidth under their control or requiring
      complicated boundary proxies; which are the usual solutions. The problem
      of course is that the code is proprietary even if some of the techniques
      are fairly well understood now.

      Generalised IPv6 across the web feels just as remote as it did 3 years
      ago. There's more and more NAT everywhere as private users install WLAN
      routers on their broadband. The problem of public addressability isn't
      going away. It's getting worse.

      So to get to the point; Maybe there's scope here for using Skype/Kazaa
      like techniques but pushing them down the stack into the OS and App dev
      environment so that they fade from view. Let's make arbitrarily large
      numbers of directly connected machines into "Supernodes" or rather
      dynamic and temporary naming, routing and caching proxies. Somewhere in
      there is also an alternate name space that can't be controlled by
      Verizon, ICANN or any other gorilla. But that's another story.

      Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
      Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/
      Personal WebLog: http://www.voidstar.com/
      M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic