6499Re: [decentralization] P2P conference directory

  • Clay Shirky
    Jul 16, 2003

      > On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 09:22 AM, samrhjoseph wrote:
      >>
      >> I have seen people's web sites that seem to list deadlines for
      >> subsets of conferences - certainly creating a web page for this kind
      >> of thing would be a good idea - how about a wiki? I have been
      >> recently playing with twiki - we could put something in there:
      >>
      >> http://www.neurogrid.net/twiki/bin/view/Main/PeerToPeerConferences
      >
      > This is a really good thing, and I think that a wiki is the right tool.

      Errr.

      Wikis are good for wide participation, but bad for time-sensitive material,
      since, unlike blogs, stale bits don't get pushed down the temporal queue.

      That having been said, there is nothing that can act as a substitute for
      someone actively caring about the material and keeping it fresh, so I
      suppose it doesn't matter so much what tool you use.

      -clay