6465Re: [decentralization] Nullsoft launches WASTE

    Jun 1, 2003
      On Fri, 30 May 2003, Clay Shirky wrote:
      > And whether WASTE provides any alternative to managing social clusters is,
      > in my mind, the interesting open question 9well, that and "Where did the
      > code go, and can we mirror it?")

      The interesting difference is in the tristero analogy. We're all used to
      open communities on the ultramassive WAN of the internet. Pynchon's
      secret postal conspiracy should have slightly different dynamics. Brian's
      point about lurkability as an essential feature would be less applicable
      in groups too small to support it.

      You'd expect, for example, that such groups would be dark matter. They'd
      influence the whole without being directly observable.

      ...need to re-read "The Crying of Lot 49" when there's time.