6254re: [decentralization] [mnet-devel] reconsidering fundamental Mnet architecture (fwd)

  • Rich Persaud
    Dec 14, 2002
      Lucas wrote:
      | A double forward, unusual for this list. On a technical level Friendnets
      | are interesting because they are a new kind of decentralized topology.

      Assuming membership overlap in all three lists, is a double-forward (in lieu of crosspost):

      - implied endorsement (reputation metric)
      - disclosed collusion (buzz metric)
      - emergent network (taste discovery)

      The double-forward / crosspost distinction arises from a specific topology.

      Zooko wrote:
      | substrate. step 3, observe that if all of the players aren't perfectly
      | well-behaved and altruistic, your wonderful design doesn't work, and start
      | trying to figure out how to salvage your beautiful design from being destroyed
      | by the ugly fact of malicious and/or selfish agents.

      Prevent destruction, yes, Prevent damage, no. It's useful to allow malicious agents to self-identify through malicious behavior. Suppression of all opportunity for malice would make it impossible to identify agents that decline such opportunities. It would also delay immune system response to malice.

      | best friend. I think that the emergent network designer should focus on the
      | human context, both because the human context is where our ultimate goals and
      | values are defined, and also because the human context is the best source of a
      | uniquely valuable network resource: trust.

      There's a useful analogy between trust and information theory, from http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/spki/html/1998/winter/msg00058.html :
      '... Trust being "that which is essential to a communication channel but which cannot be transferred from a source to a destination using that channel" ...'

      | the universal filestore abstraction and return to step 1, building a
      | friendnet-Mnet in which any two computers are allowed to have a relationship
      | if and only if their human users already have a similar human relationship.

      Humans have relationships in contexts.

      Any pair of humans is tied by multiple relationships. Case in point, the crosspost / double-forward distinction.

      Rich
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic