6196Re: [decentralization] decentralized recognizability

  • brandon@blanu.net
    Nov 6, 2002
      > I'd still like to know how easy it is to spoof the squiggles. Surely
      > it's not at all hard to generate a new key pair such that the bezier
      > transformed version of the new public key is a barely detectable
      > variant of the expected public key ... in which case it's surely not
      > unlikely that Alice might say "ah, I recognize that, it's Bob's public
      > key, I'll encrypt to that" and promptly encrypt to Mallory's.

      That is the open question in this kind of visualization. Before you can
      adequately judge the security of a visualization technique, you need to
      run a lot of empirical tests on people to see what the threshold is for
      distinguishing two slightly different renderings. There has been
      significant work on this by psychologists in the past, so a good way to
      jump start your visualization technique would be to look at existing
      research on recognition and memorability thresholds.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic