6189Re: [decentralization] decentralized recognizability

  • Miles Sabin
    Nov 5, 2002
      Lucas Gonze wrote,
      > It seems to me that the technique itself could be refined and
      > extended. For example, break the signatures up into several chunks,
      > use color, modify the generator to output well known shapes. Also,
      > there should be unix console utility to do it, apart from the circle
      > implementation.

      At first glance looks quite nifty.

      But I'm not sure I know what the application is. What do you gain by
      having an only moderately reliable way of seeing that an agent holds a
      particular public key? And surely it's not that hard to generate a
      distinct public key which is sufficiently visually similar to the
      expected key to be easily confusable with it?

      My gut reaction is that refining and extending the idea in the ways
      you've suggested might not be all that productive ... possibly counter-
      productive even. At a wild, uninformed, guess I'd say that colours
      might drown out information in the squiggle rather than augment it.
      Perhaps if you're using a handwritten signature metaphor, then keeping
      things monochromatically familiar would help with recognition.

      On the face of it, this'd be a good research project for someone who is,
      or knows, a cognitive psychologist or human factors person.

      Cheers,

      Miles
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic