6150Re: [decentralization] Saaf testimony

  • Brian Behlendorf
    Oct 2, 2002
      On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 lucas@... wrote:
      > This is obviously a denial of service attack, and a fairly stupid one.
      > Any limited number of providers that attempts to DoS an entire megacluster
      > is trying to turn the logic of a DDoS upside down.

      Not to mention the likelihood that Gnutella software authors will simply
      implement the same technique the antispam community uses to identify IP
      addresses and address ranges of known spammers, and block them before
      their packets even hit the server - aka real-time block lists. I know you
      said "limited", I suppose there may be some way these parties could
      implement a distributed system that would be much more difficult to keep
      up with, by embedding malware in some otherwise widely distributed
      application.

      Brian
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic