6036Re: [decentralization] Re: Decentralised Meta-Data Search Strategies

    Aug 6, 2002
      Sam Joseph wrote:
      > think the ease of publishing data in the p2p environment means that
      > the need for decentralized search is even greater than on the web,
      > but that the churn makes it all the harder to provide ....

      churn is a brutally hard problem to solve. I'm surprized there are no
      projects working on reducing it instead of accepting it.

      > Superfically there would seem to be some kind of relation between the
      > kinds of guarantees that the topology can offer in terms of data
      > recovery, and the flexibility of search it can provide. It would be
      > interesting if we could pin this down more concretely. I'm hoping
      > that once I get some distance from writing this review it might be
      > possible to think about it a bit more objectively :-)

      Yeah, your review tickled my mind in just that direction... The only
      first class datatypes in DHTs are documents and document identifiers.
      Everything addressable is a document/identifier pair that needs to be
      stored independently, including metadata key/val pairs.

      > > Does it matter whether metadata search is an overlay on the
      > network, as
      > > with FASD, or the main linking structure, as with Plesh?
      >
      > I'm not sure that I see the difference you are pointing to here. I
      > mean both FASD and Plesh work as overlays, I think.

      From http://semplesh.com/faq:
      *******
      Can I simply retrieve files by their hash/URI, and how does this work in
      general?

      The Plex is built upon a hash-to-plaintext system which will allow you to
      retrieve files, but this is not the Plex's main usage. Instead, the Plex
      will allow you to retrieve all sorts of information about a URI. One type
      of information, of course, is a representation of the URI, like what you
      might get if you typed that URI into a Web browser.
      *******

      ...meaning that they're focused on the same issue of metadata in
      decentralized networks that you are, so there's probably relevant
      insights.

      A question for somebody from Plesh: how does the emphasis on serving and
      navigating RDF triples affect the topology of the network? My guess is
      that you publish the hash of each element of the triple, so users can
      address the elements separately or together. A triple of

      :John
      :emailAddress <mailto:john@...> .

      allows the user to search for the hash of John and/or emailAddress and/or
      mailto:john@....