5220Re: [decentralization] Re: xml protocols and transport bindings

  • Paul Prescod
    Feb 1, 2002
      allenjswa wrote:

      > > RPC over HTTP is the only variant of SOAP that is fully specified
      > > and can thus be implemented in an interoperable fashion.
      >
      > There are plenty of people using SOAP 1.1 to interoperate over
      > MSMQ/MQ-Series messaging. So, while you are technically correct in
      > saying that MQ bindings are not formally specified, I hope you are
      > not implying that binding SOAP 1.1 RPC to async message queues is
      > impossible.

      Nothing is impossible if you work together. IP packets over carrier
      pigeons! I'm asking whether two different developers, without
      communication will make SOAP over MSMQ/MQSeries bindings that are 100%
      compatible, using the relevant specs.

      > I have also seen people successfully bind SOAP to SMTP, again not
      > specified and not guaranteed to interoperate with anyone else who
      > makes up SMTP bindings, but it works just fine for what it's used
      > for.

      What's the use of standards that don't inteoperate?

      > I believe that some of the 81 SOAP implementations listed at
      > http://www.soapware.org/directory/4/implementations have "out of the
      > box" SMTP bindings. However, I would also point out that even the
      > existence of an HTTP binding spec is not a guarantee that these
      > implementations interop. Even when people implement to the spec,
      > ensuring interop takes a lot of cooperation on the part of the
      > implementers: http://www.whitemesa.com/interop.htm

      That's exactly my point. It's a big problem when you have to work out
      point-to-point interops. SOAP has massive interop problems and the only
      reason you use a standard is to avoid those! Despite all of the known
      bugs in web servers and POP servers I don't remember ever having a
      problem doing a GET from any programming language to any web site or
      pointing any email client at whatever POP server my employers happened
      to have installed. Optimistically, SOAP is two years away from that
      level of interop on HTTP. (after all the spec isn't even done yet!)
      Pessimistically it will take much, much longer because of all of the
      optional features. And then we have to talk about using it on other
      transports...and in different message patterns....

      Paul Prescod
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic