4538Re: [decentralization] Groove centralizes

    Nov 1, 2001
      At 09:31 AM 11/1/01, Tony Kimball wrote to Scott,
      >: http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO65038,00.html
      >:
      >: I don't think corporations like having content strewn out across all
      >: of their user's PCs and is used to having things centralized where
      >: they can control and monitor them.
      >:
      >: Does this hurt the viability of decentralized systems in the
      >: corporate landscape?
      >
      >No, it improves the viability. Users do in fact have content strewn
      >about the network -- not only content, but other valuable resources as
      >well, such as devices, metadata, bandwidth, etc., Decentralized
      >systems can harness that content, and make it usable as an enterprise
      >resource, thus creating new managable asset.

      Corporations are command and control systems, of a type that
      have been thoroughly and completely rejected by the populations
      of every country on earth by now. Governments such as the soviet
      union were spectacular failures.

      Why do corporations work completely differently from the way open
      marketplaces function, within democratic society?

      When developers understand the answer to this question,
      they will be more likely to write P2P software instead of
      ever-more-powerful command and control systems.

      Corporations operate completely differently from civil society, to
      achieve greater logistical efficiency, reliability and information
      dissemination by controlling the behaviors of members, all
      that stuff -- we have networks and computers and collaboration
      software for these things today. Let's use them, to compete
      as freemen instead of slaves. Freemen are always more
      efficient than command systems. We'll make good money.

      Todd

      ...types of decentralization, these are independent dimensions:

      - the data,
      - pointers and indexes to the data,
      - other metadata i.e. useful metadata like document schemas,
      - the encryption keys and certificates,
      - routes taken by data content across networks (P2P variations),
      - routes taken by the pointing, indexing, metadata information,
      - incentive topology ($ Corp, $hierarchic/MLM, $peer, mojo, volunteer...)
      - capital structure (pooled/central, decentralized, or hierarch. steps)
      - political and social rulemaking topology /hierarchy,
      - actual technical control (actual sovereignty)
      - content creation (added by Mitra)
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic