      From: Hugh Pyle [mailto:hpyle@...]
      Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 11:05 AM
      To: decentralization@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [decentralization] Groove centralizes

      > I don't think corporations like having content strewn out across all of their user's PCs

      Groove's central services don't manage content.  The content is at the edges, where people need it.

      The relay and the "bot server" manage connectivity.
      Of course there's usually plenty of connectivity at the edges (peer, to peer).  Unless you have a firewall between the users.  In which case,
      - the relay service does "device presence" and message-queue store-and-forward connectivity between peer devices;  you might want one in your DMZ to make the most effective connections to the outside world.
      - the enterprise integration server gives you a single (ie. manageable) place to put connectivity between systems;  you probably want some integration (eg. to Palm) at the edge, but other (eg. to SAP) in the center.

      Last piece is the management service, whcih gives you a single place to set policies & monitor resources, licenses, usage etc.