3811Re: [decentralization] De-centralizing single sign on.

  • James Hong
    Sep 2, 2001
      People aren't going to like this answer but...

      Many sites want users to go through a sign-up process so they can collect
      specific demographic/psychographic information alongside. This information
      enables them to sell advertising/sponsorships at a higher rate. Also, the
      sign-up process is also the right spot for them to sell co-registrations.

      Unless the central repository collects and shares this sort of information,
      you'll see pushback (or rather, non-participation) from websites that rely
      on advertising. I'm not sure if programs like passport share this sort of
      information. I imagine that sharing demographic information is not on the To
      Do list of whoever is working on an open, decentralized network, but if you
      want wider adoption you may want to put it in (of course, be up front with
      the user when they are signing on that all their information is shared
      across the network.)

      Of course, all the websites that rely heavily on advertising other than AOL,
      Microsoft, or Yahoo may not exist within another year or so, so this point
      may be moot.