3292Re: My vision for the future.....was RE: seattlewireless plans, vendo r investment, etc.

    Aug 1, 2001
      > coalition software consists of a framework that works like mojonation.
      > mojo is given / taken for packets relayed. If you run a gateway, you
      > automatically get mojo when people use your gateway.

      I strongly agree with Matt's vision. One difficulty of course is
      implementing it deep enough in the stack to perform well. Shuffling every
      packet down to the router in the operating system, plus the mojo transport
      and validation... whew... Making it hacker proof is also a big job.

      I wonder if the bandwidth accounting might be built at the application
      level, sampling packets in some kind of background app. which would figure
      out if it knows the user, maintain little accounts payable and receivable
      in plain old dollars and cents on estimated, good-enough basis. It would
      detect freeloaders and ban them from the node within a few hundred packets
      lets say.

      A round-trip exchange to some central user list may NOT be necessary,
      if there is some other workaround to find out whether a user has an
      account in the coalitions' zone. I would suggest a P2P message back
      to the source of the new packets, to find out their identity sufficiently
      to allow some kind of billing arrangement within a web of trust or
      reputation system. (You don't need to know the identity but you DO need
      to know whether they pay their bills, etc. within a math-based reputation
      formula.) I suggest a lightweight billing message back to the source
      telling them whenever they hit 1 cent intervals on your node. These
      1-cent messages if acknowledged, are booked in his AP and in your AR,
      so that the ARs and APs always equal. If unacknowledged the
      connection ends, I guess.

      One nice thing about classic accounts receivable/payable is that it
      opens pandoras box to all kinds of local commerce, with much less
      security or authentication challenges than classic digital cash or mojo.
      Since you know the peers and they're associated with static addresses,
      and at the end of the day you don't have to pay your bill if it is wrong
      and you certainly don't have any risk of losing money to some
      hacker in russia. Most of the bills will be netted by AR/AP clouds,
      http://www.arapxml.net/arapcloud.htm When you have countless
      billions of little transactions it isn't practical for any intruder to
      monitor or draw any comprehensive picture at all, of the commerce
      taking place. All the accounting messages would be PGP or something
      anyway. You would have a billion 1-cent messages for every
      message that had any real purchase or sale embedded in it.

      But if somebody can build a real mojo network that works, Great!

      Todd

      ---------------------------------------- SELECTION FROM ORIGINAL MESSAGE
      From: mattw@...
      Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:39:41 -0700 (PDT)
      To: dev@...
      Subject: Re: My vision for the future.....was RE: seattlewireless plans,
      vendor investment, etc.

      [...]

      > 2. Someone has to pay for the connection to the Internet

      lets say internet connections en masse are handled by 'the gateway
      coalition'. they are a group of people or corporations who:

      1. have a connection to the internet (doesn't matter what speed)
      2. are running coalition software.

      coalition software consists of a framework that works like mojonation.
      mojo is given / taken for packets relayed. If you run a gateway, you
      automatically get mojo when people use your gateway. This allows you to
      roam other's gateways also. If someone wants mojo who is not part of the
      coalition, they must make an arrangement with someone who has high mojo.
      arrangements are done on a case by case basis so you can either exchange
      money for mojo or barter your bandwidth. closest hop gateways are used, so
      there is less congestion on the network.

      a gateway provider is not required to have a 'high' speed connection as
      they get paid (in mojo) by the packet. You could run a gateway off of a
      28.8k modem if you did not expect to do much roaming or have a need for
      much mojo.

      in all cases, transit across the local network or to non-coalition
      gateways (say you want to run a tunnel into your corpnet or out your
      personal ISP account) is free.

      people that join the coalition will do so for a couple of reasons.

      1. they are already paying for internet access but want closest hop
      gateway access.
      2. they already have an internet feed and want money / barter
      3. they are a corporation who wants to give their employees
      internet access but dont want to clog their wireless uplink (see #1)
      4. they're into the whole 'free internet' thing, but figured out that
      providing things for free doesn't actually pay for them.

      [...]