2730Re: Re: [decentralization] WG, per Sergei Osokin

  • Zane Thomas
    Jun 2, 2001
      Coderman,

      Caught me in a chatty mood, sorry. :-)

      > My grief with M$ is their business practices. This has all been hashed
      over
      > repeatedly by a number of people, but it comes down to the fact that they
      > are a monoply which has abused its power to the detriment of other
      companies.

      The distribution of power in a system where large corporations can evolve is
      an issue which attracted me to this mailing list. I'm kind of enamored with
      the idea of wrestling the control of information away from centralized
      servers and sources.

      But when it comes to assessing the reality of the current situation I don't
      see that MS has played a different game than their competitors. And my
      opinion of those who have gone whining to the government in an attempt to
      replace competitive forces with government intervention is that they are
      pathetic and in the long run will do more harm than good.

      > Open source is not about getting paid, but about doing
      > what you enjoy and contributing to an effort that benifits all involved.

      I wonder about that as a general approach to providing software which
      "benefits all involved". In a sense the money I get paid for the software I
      write is a token which represents someone's having perceived a benefit in
      that software. It's the evaluation function which informs me as to whether
      I'm really doing something other people can use. I don't have a problem
      with designing code because there are interesting problems which can be
      investigated that way, research for its own sake, but it doesn't always pay
      the rent and that's something we all have to do.

      I have worked as a contractor in the past - been there, done that, wrote the
      self-help book. But eventually I came around to the idea that it was a
      waste of time for me to help other people pursue their visions of what
      products would be desired when I could likely come up with some of my own
      which were a) interesting for me to write, and b) paid the rent. So far
      I've been doing ok that way, and hope that work-in-progress (not a
      component, for a change) will continue that tradition.

      Zane
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic