      ----- Original Message -----
      From: egroup@...

      > I think that we don't actually know what would happen, since
      > no one has performed (AFAIK) the social experiments
      > necessary to test what would happen if all copyright
      > laws were removed.

      The large scale experiments in removal of the
      general property rights have been done in USSR
      and we know what happens when you do that. The removal
      of the IP rights would bring the same kind of disaster,
      except much faster.

      The experiment at the other extreme of the spectrum,
      where the IP rights are overprotected is currently
      ongoing in the US. I think that will result in as
      bad final effects for the creators & distributors
      here as did the USSR extreme for their manufacturing.

      Namely, this overprotection invariably induces art
      distributors to jack up the prices/profit margins.
      That in turn stimulates development of circumventing
      and underground distribution technologies which will,
      in the long run, do more damage to the art industry
      than the original more lax IP laws would have.

      The overprotection of IP rights is analogous to
      overprotecting against bacteria with antibiotics. The
      later triggers evolutionary overdrive in the bacteria's
      genetic engine networks, creating antibiotic resistant
      strains, which are more damaging than the orginial ones
      we were overprotecting against.

      The current overdrive in p2p activity was spurred in great
      part by the "surprise" success of Napster, which in turn was
      stimulated by the obscene profit margins of the arts
      middlemen shielded by the excessive IP rights protections.
      So the art distributors have now managed to align against
      themselves much greater technological creative genius than
      they had to deal with before. While they were losing pennies
      to the low-tech 'pirates' before, they will lose their shirts
      to the unleashed p2p distribution 'monster' they helped create.