RMK Happy 101st Ilinden

  • sibercor2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      http://www.realitymacedonia.org.mk/web/news_page.asp?nid=3493

      REALITY MACEDONIA

      Web posted August 01, 2004

      Happy 101st Ilinden

      By Risto Stefov
      rstefov@...

      August 2st 2004 marks the one-hundred and first anniversary of the Ilinden
      Macedonian uprising against the oppressive Ottoman Turks and the sixtieth
      anniversary of the formation of the Peoples' Republic of Macedonia.

      Ilinden is not just another Macedonian holiday. It is a day that has
      inspired the Macedonian people to rise against tyranny not once but twice.
      The first time was one hundred and one years ago on August 2nd, 1903 when
      our great grandfathers had endured enough of Turkish rule and showed their
      displeasure by raising arms against them. Then forty-one years later on
      August 2nd, 1944 our fathers and grandfathers rose yet again creating the
      foundations of the Peoples' Republic of Macedonia within the Yugoslav
      federation, which in 1991 became the independent Republic of Macedonia.

      This year, like every year, Macedonians worldwide will be celebrating
      Ilinden and remembering the sacrifices our forefathers made to create a
      better world for us. It has never been easy to be Macedonian but that is
      what we are and have come a long way from the days of the first revolution.
      We now have a country to call our own, a point of origin, a place to call
      home. We must also not forget that our tiny country is but a small fraction
      of what Macedonia was and that many Macedonians are still unrecognized and
      to this day live without even the most basic human rights. So when you
      celebrate Ilinden this year remember those less fortunate Macedonians and do
      your best to help them in any way you can.

      Even with all our gains in the last one hundred years, we are still the
      victims of many who wish us harm. That is why we must persist, fight back
      and carry on the revolution in peace.