Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

AFP Macedonia slides deeper into violence, threatening peace accord

Expand Messages
  • Snezana Lazovic
    http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010810/1/1b06y.html Friday August 10, 10:43 PM Macedonia slides deeper into violence, threatening peace accord SKOPJE, Aug 10 (AFP) -
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2001
    • 0 Attachment

      Friday August 10, 10:43 PM

      Macedonia slides deeper into violence, threatening peace accord

      SKOPJE, Aug 10 (AFP) -

      Macedonia's fragile peace process was in crisis on Friday after
      seven soldiers were killed by a landmine and ethnic Albanian
      rebels went on the offensive in the country's main
      Albanian-populated city.

      The international community condemned the upsurge in the
      violence and urged the Balkan country to forge ahead and sign a
      peace deal.

      Military sources told AFP seven soldiers were killed and eight
      others were injured on Friday when an army truck ran over a
      mine on the road to Ljubanci village. Hospital sources said the
      toll could be higher.

      The new deaths came after intensive fighting took place overnight
      in the troubled former Yugoslav country, with renewed clashes
      between rebels of the National Liberation Army and government
      forces threatening to scupper the signing of an
      internationally-mediated peace agreement scheduled for

      Rebels pounded army and police checkpoints around Tetovo, as
      they sought to make headway in the country's main
      ethnic-Albanian populated city, while Macedonian forces
      returned fire near the villages of Tearce and Neprosteno.

      An AFP correspondent in the town reported a lull in the fighting
      during the day. The streets of the town were largely empty, after
      Macedonian helicopters and Sukhoi fighter jets had earlier
      circled over the Tetovo skies.

      Rebels control some of the suburbs around Tetovo and are trying
      to push into parts of the city.

      Washington's envoy to Macedonia James Pardew called for a
      return to the July 5 ceasefire and condemned the violence as
      "extremely damaging to the peace process."

      "We are very hopeful that the political agreement which is critical
      to the deployment of NATO forces can be signed on Monday in
      Skopje," he said in Sofia.

      But the EU's chief envoy, Francois Leotard, was more cautious,
      saying that while he believed the accord would be signed, "we
      have often been disappointed."

      "I believe the signing will go ahead ... I cannot for a moment
      imagine that there will be a return to violence instead of a peace
      deal," Leotard told French Radio International (RFI) on Friday.

      Meanwhile, Macedonians in the southern town of Prilep buried
      10 soldiers killed in an ambush of an army convoy on
      Wednesday, in the worst single attack by ethnic Albanian rebels
      since they launched an insurgency six months ago.

      Around 400 people attended the funeral while thousands
      gathered in the town centre to mourn the dead.

      A little-known guerrilla group, the Albanian National Army
      (ANA), separately issued a statement from Kosovo, saying it
      opposed the peace deal and claiming responsibility for the
      ambush that killed the 10 soldiers.

      "The accord which makes Albanians remain under the authority
      of Macedonian Slavs should not be signed," the statement said.

      NATO's envoy to Macedonia warned against seeking a military
      solution to the crisis and urged a return to the ceasefire.

      "We urge both parties to stick to their commitment of July 5 and
      to respect the ceasefire with immediate effect. The political
      dialogue must not be endangered now that a settlement is so
      near," said Major Barry Johson.

      The guerrillas say they are fighting for the rights of Macedonia's
      ethnic Albanian minority, who make up about one-third of the
      population of Macedonia.

      Macedonian and ethnic Albanian political leaders on Wednesday
      initialed an agreement to end the conflict, after nearly two weeks
      of negotiations in the southern lakeside resort of Ohrid. Western
      envoys said the deal should be formally signed on Monday.

      The peace agreement, worked out under intense pressure from
      US and European mediators, calls for use of Albanian as an
      official language, police reforms in Albanian areas and the
      deployment of 3,500 NATO troops to disarm rebels of the
      rebels' self-styled National Liberation Army (NLA).
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.