Re: [Debunking Debunkers] Re: Crop Circles---Has Anyone Done the Math?

  • James Dawson
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
      Ausiepath,

      It would seem a simple experiment to choose the biggest and most complex crop circle that has yet appeared and have a group of people, perhaps those who've claimed to fake many, attempt to reproduce it, at night.

      Let some people, both "believers" and "skeptics" observe and time them.  If it's successfully done, then doubts that it could be man-made would be eliminated or significantly lessened.

      You may have seen the glib and insulting response I got from John Beatty (message 6282).  Do you know of any groups similar to this one that isn't plagued people who want to interfere with a discussion among open-minded but critical people about in anomolies/mysteries/unexplained phenomena?  One that's moderated?

      Why isn't this forum being moderated and people who make it unpleasant banned?  I know you've got to having opposing viewpoints on a discussion forum, but a moderator has to make a judement about when messages go beyond good-faith challenges and become disruptive.

      Anyway, I've been avoiding this forum for a long time, even though it seemed like a good idea.  Maybe I'll stick around with it, but it'd be nice to find a "critical Fortean" forum with some intelligent discussion of POSSIBLE mysteries---not snarky, simplistic and peurile putdowns.

      Clyde,

      Are you still out there?  I looked around and found that DD2 and "rubybaby" had been deleted.  If you no longer have the time or interest to moderate this forum, would you consider turning over moderation to somebody who might?

      James N. Dawson

      ausiepath9 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      HI

      Actually there is one very good recorded case I can think off the top
      of my head; by Colin Andrews where himself and the army setup cameras
      etc...a crop circle appeared right next to the field where they were
      situated and no human could have possibly done that as the area was
      secured.

      Go to www.cropcircles. org they make many of them but didnt make the
      ones seen here in Tully etc..in the 60's in Australia.
      Again that's not entirely correct, we can distinguish between man-made
      and others, soil samples prove there is an anomaly not connected to
      any human fakery.

      <oddempire@. ..> wrote:

      > > I'm sure you'll have you're usual flippant and unconvincing pseudo-
      > > rational response, O.E., so by all means go ahead demonstrate your
      self-
      > > perceived cleverness.
      > >

      > OK, I'll bite.. here's some self perceived cleverness (at least you
      > got one thing right.)
      >
      > 1) We cannot rule out that humans are capable of making any crop
      > circle no matter how complex. It's impossible to prove otherwise.
      >
      > 2) There is not a single case where even a scrap of evidence
      > suggesting that some non human entity made even one crop circle.
      > Please tell me how I'm wrong about this by citing a specific
      > instance(s) where any evidence exists suggesting non-terrestrial
      > origins of a crop circle. Heck, here's an easier one, find some
      > compelling evidence of any visit by extraterrestrials to the Earth.
      >

      > Additionally, I've never been involved with crop circle making but I
      > and several of my friends did create a 2/3 scale replica of the
      > Uffington horse figure. This project took about eight hours total
      > times about 10 people.
      > Image of original here
      > http://wiltshirewhi tehorses. org.uk/images/ uffaerial. jpg
      >
      > I have a photo of the one we created somewhere, if I find it I'll post
      > it in the photos section.
      >
      > The Odd Emperor

    • John Beatty
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
        What you WANT is a forum where everyone agrees with you.  What you do NOT want is anyone to simply point out that many "mysteries" have been manufactured.

        If pointing out that regardless of evidence you will believe what you choose makes me "glib and insulting" I most humbly apologize to all entities everywhere and in any plane of existance for any percieved insults this imputation of the definintion of faith may have engendered and for anything I may ever say or mean or be interpreted to mean (including the anagramatic insults that are so common these days) at any time in any life I may have ever lived.

        But you have not pointed out where I may be wrong, and you have not pointed out where anything I have stated on this or any other forum would be grounds for having me banned.  Simply disagreeing with you shouldn't be enough.  If it is this forum isn't worth anyone's time.

        _________________________________
        John D. Beatty, Milwaukee Wisconsin
        AMCIVWAR.COM/AMCIVWAR.NET

        <oddempire@. ..> wrote:

        > > I'm sure you'll have you're usual flippant and unconvincing pseudo-
        > > rational response, O.E., so by all means go ahead demonstrate your
        self-
        > > perceived cleverness.
        > >

        > OK, I'll bite.. here's some self perceived cleverness (at least you
        > got one thing right.)
        >
        > 1) We cannot rule out that humans are capable of making any crop
        > circle no matter how complex. It's impossible to prove otherwise.
        >
        > 2) There is not a single case where even a scrap of evidence
        > suggesting that some non human entity made even one crop circle.
        > Please tell me how I'm wrong about this by citing a specific
        > instance(s) where any evidence exists suggesting non-terrestrial
        > origins of a crop circle. Heck, here's an easier one, find some
        > compelling evidence of any visit by extraterrestrials to the Earth.
        >

        > Additionally, I've never been involved with crop circle making but I
        > and several of my friends did create a 2/3 scale replica of the
        > Uffington horse figure. This project took about eight hours total
        > times about 10 people.
        > Image of original here
        > http://wiltshirewhi tehorses. org.uk/images/ uffaerial. jpg
        >
        > I have a photo of the one we created somewhere, if I find it I'll post
        > it in the photos section.
        >
        > The Odd Emperor

      • James Dawson
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 19, 2007
          John,

          Every group has a certain purpose, philosophy and focus.  That's why they're moderated.

          My understanding of the purpose of this group was for likeminded people to "debunk" debunkers, or skeptics, if you prefer.  It was meant for those of us who see some or many things as unexplained, to discuss these things among ourselves.  I'm sure we'll have many disagreements, but agree more on fundamentals than we do with you.  Maybe there are other groups specifically formed for "believers", "undecideds" and "skeptics" to debate, but from what I understood from it's "mission statement", this forum isn't one of them.

          I don't believe in a lot of things, but I don't feel the need to join a group of people who does believe in them and badger and hector them about it.  My God, I don't know whether to laugh, cry or stare dumbfounded by how obsessive and angry you are about our "irrational" beliefs!

          Okay, maybe we're "irrational" and "unscientific.  You've told us all that very bitterly and tersely a million times.  You've thoroughly trounced us!  Can't you leave us to our "delusions".  Maybe they make us happy!

          Anyway, John, and Odd Emperor, if I do stay on this sad, hilarious forum for any length of time, I won't be responding to any of your comments.   I'm not mad.  I just don't have time to rehash irreconciliable differences.

          Hope you find some willing sparring partners or people to "put in their place" and have fun doing it.

          James

          ____________ _________ _________ ___

          <oddempire@. ..> wrote:

          > > I'm sure you'll have you're usual flippant and unconvincing pseudo-
          > > rational response, O.E., so by all means go ahead demonstrate your
          self-
          > > perceived cleverness.
          > >

          > OK, I'll bite.. here's some self perceived cleverness (at least you
          > got one thing right.)
          >
          > 1) We cannot rule out that humans are capable of making any crop
          > circle no matter how complex. It's impossible to prove otherwise.
          >
          > 2) There is not a single case where even a scrap of evidence
          > suggesting that some non human entity made even one crop circle.
          > Please tell me how I'm wrong about this by citing a specific
          > instance(s) where any evidence exists suggesting non-terrestrial
          > origins of a crop circle. Heck, here's an easier one, find some
          > compelling evidence of any visit by extraterrestrials to the Earth.
          >

          > Additionally, I've never been involved with crop circle making but I
          > and several of my friends did create a 2/3 scale replica of the
          > Uffington horse figure. This project took about eight hours total
          > times about 10 people.
          > Image of original here
          > http://wiltshirewhi tehorses. org.uk/images/ uffaerial. jpg
          >
          > I have a photo of the one we created somewhere, if I find it I'll post
          > it in the photos section.
          >
          > The Odd Emperor

        • John Beatty
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 20, 2007

            I don't participate in  Greek choruses of backslapping followers who never question the basis for their beliefs.  Sorry to disappoint you, but this is an open and free forum for discussion.

            Since this is the first traffic I've seen here for nearly a year I hardly would think you would have been badgered out of it.  You are entirely free to participate or not.