new member introduction

  • gemamant
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25 6:06 AM
      Hi, List~

      I wanted to introduce myself, since I'm a new member. I've
      had a long
      standing interest in parapsychology. Most of my journal articles have
      dealt with the topic of apparitions, haunts, poltergeists, as well as
      the psychology of paranormal belief and experience (and its
      measurement). This work utilizes Item Response Theory (IRT), which
      is an approach feature not even applied in most psychological
      research. One of these recent papers, on NDEs, was just published in
      the British Journal of Psychology
      (http://iris.ingentaselect.com/vl=6185436/cl=90/nw=1/rpsv/cw/bpsoc/000
      71269/v95n2/s3/p161)

      Currently, I've been working with Rense Lange and Bill Roll in
      applying nonlinear analyses and Per Bak's notion of organized
      criticality to the temporal patterns of individual manifestations in
      poltergeist episodes. This work is beginning to provide a rather
      precise definition of the modifier "spontaneous" in recurrent
      spontaneous psychokinesis (RSPK). Moreover, it is our hope that this
      work will make significant stride towards a goal set in 1958 by Pratt
      and Roll, "…with sufficient knowledge … it may become
      possible to
      predict …occurrences and even control them. Thus one hopes to
      advance
      from the spontaneous towards the stage of experimental research."

      For example, we have consistently found that the timing of
      poltergeist events follows a power law-type frequency distribution
      whose exponent lies within the range of values that defines music as
      a psychological and physical phenomenon. That is, apparent RSPK seems
      to occur in a series of events that are both sufficiently novel and
      sufficiently predictable such that—like music—people find
      them intrinsically interesting. That the predictability of apparent
      RSPK has largely escaped attention may well be due to the fact that
      standard predictive approaches are not sufficiently powerful to do
      so. Rather, we have found that the timing of poltergeist events
      obeyed a nonlinear autoregressive cusp catastrophe model, i.e.,
      future intervals could be predicted from preceding ones by assuming
      that past RSPK events form a bi-stable system that alternates between
      longer and shorter intervals in a quite abrupt fashion.

      I'm an Associate Member of the Parapsychological Association, an
      Associate Editor for the Australian Journal of Parapsychology, and a
      Consulting Editor for the European Journal of Parapsychology. I co-
      edited an academic text with Rense Lange entitled Hauntings and
      Poltergeists: Multidisciplinary Perspectives (2001, McFarland & Co.,
      see http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
      /0786409843/qid=1093377447/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-3815369-2815834?
      v=glance&s=books)

      This book has been praised by numerous journals and periodicals like
      EJP, JP, JSPR, JSE, Fortean Times, Australian Journal of
      Parapsychology, and Psychological Reports. Contributors include: John
      Beloff, Hilary Evans, James McClenon, Ronald C. Finucane, Emily D.
      Edwards, Michael Persinger, Stan Koren, William G. Roll, Tony
      Lawrence, V. K. Kumar, Ron Pekala, Joe Nickell, Fatima Machado, Peter
      Brugger, and Gertrude Schmeidler.

      I look forward to interacting with you all.

      Best Wishes,

      James (Jim) Houran