Re: Crop Circles

  • Tucker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003
      5554 From: thevirtualgreek
      Date: Mon Jun 30, 2003 0:32pm
      Subject: Re: [Debunking Debunkers] From Science News Online

      --- In debunkingdebunkers@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Crosdale"
      <cacrosdale2002@y...> wrote:
      > If I were to take a pencil and stick it in the sand. Then attach
      string
      > to it and another pencil and draw a circle. Then put a ruler and
      draw a
      > straight line from the center pencil to the edge of the circle, I
      would
      > generate the following:
      >
      > Area of circle = Pi*r^2
      > Circumference of circle = 2*Pi*r
      > Radius of circle = Square root of Area divided by Pi
      >
      > Yet I wouldn't need to know any of that -- or, the historic
      origins
      of pi --
      > to use my pencils, string, and ruler; and get a fairly accurate
      circle in
      > the sand...

      Are you suggesting that the first person to draw a circle hadn't
      already done the math? I'm shocked!

      Here's a fun way to pass the time: Pick a reasonably complex crop
      circle. Then count of the number of precut lengths of rope, stakes,
      and stakes with attached ropes that you'd have to bring with you to
      create the circle.

      ~~ Paul >>

      In a similar vein, I wonder how long it would take a well-trained
      crew of, say, 10 drunk engineering alumni to punch out a complex
      formation, in dense vegetation, after dark?

      Summers in the UK are NICE! No way would I waste such quality time
      tramping around in some field. There are lots of better things to
      do, if you know what I mean, and I think you do :)

      Tucker
    • thevirtualgreek
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- In debunkingdebunkers@yahoogroups.com, "Tucker" <tucker363@y...>
        wrote:
        > In a similar vein, I wonder how long it would take a well-trained
        > crew of, say, 10 drunk engineering alumni to punch out a complex
        > formation, in dense vegetation, after dark?

        And imagine how much faster they could do it if they weren't drunk.

        ~~ Paul