Re: It is quite obvious that...

  • thevirtualgreek
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2003
      --- In debunkingdebunkers@yahoogroups.com, "Clyde Wary"
      <pack_rat2@y...> wrote:
      > "clearly many people are interested in convincing the scientific
      > community that psi is real."
      >
      > Yes, and I'm sure there were many people interested in convincing
      the
      > famous scientist, Lord Kelvin, that heavier-than-air flight was
      > possible, too. But Kelvin DID become convinced...around 1904, I
      would
      > think. The point I'm making is that if psi phenomena become more
      > commonplace, people won't need convincing.

      For sure, as long as they are phenomena that can't be explained
      conventionally.

      > "Why point out that scientists believe in their experiments if you
      > don't think that has some relevance?"
      >
      > It has relevance in that "skeptics" are demanding psi researchers
      > fulfill a criterion that few physical scientists could ever meet.

      What criterion? The criterion that skeptics be allowed near the
      experiments and still expect them to show positive results?

      > "How do you know that negative thoughts have any effect on psi at
      all,
      > when you DON'T KNOW how it works?"
      >
      > One need not understand the mechanism of something to notice an
      effect.

      But without the understanding, it's quite likely that you'll
      attribute the effect to the wrong thing. Maybe skeptical
      experimenters are just more careful with their experimental controls.

      ~~ Paul