Well, that's interesting

  • Ruby Honey
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
      Hey Paul, I posted an article on an actual, real live genuine scientific -- that's SCIENTIFIC, son - study on psi. No
      comment?

      ~ ruby
    • thevirtualgreek
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2003
        --- In debunkingdebunkers@yahoogroups.com, "Ruby Honey"
        <rubyhoney97402@y...> wrote:
        > Hey Paul, I posted an article on an actual, real live genuine
        scientific -- that's SCIENTIFIC, son - study on psi. No
        > comment?

        I assume you're referring to the article on the work by Archie Roy.
        Not much to say about it, since there is a stunning lack of details
        in the article. I was amused by "The results so far have been
        assessed with hard maths and statistics." Reminds me of the ONION
        headline: "National Science Foundation: Science Hard." Anyway, we
        have to way for publication and duplication.

        Archie Roy has been associated with some gooey stuff in the past. For
        example, from
        http://www.pharo.com/paranormal/mediums/articles/pame_06_helen_duncan.
        asp

        "There is a curious footnote to this story. In the 1980s Midlands
        medium Rita Goold materialised the full-form discarnate Helen Duncan
        before a trio that included the leading British astrophysicist and
        psychical researcher Professor Archie Roy, of Glasgow University.
        Although Mrs Goold works in the dark, Professor Roy told of how what
        was clearly an enormous woman abruptly sat down beside him on the
        sofa - which duly rose up at the other end, even though he was
        sitting on it - and began to talk to him in an authentic east
        Scottish accent, hitting him heartily on the arm to emphasise her
        points. Afterwards he realised she had actually hurt him. Yet someone
        of her great bulk could hardly move around a darkened room without a
        sound - especially as the sitters' ears had become hypersensitive in
        the blackout - suggesting that she was not some kind of accomplice.
        Or, indeed, any living human being..."

        ~~ Paul
      • thevirtualgreek
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2003
          <rubyhoney97402@y...> wrote:
          > Hey Paul, I posted an article on an actual, real live genuine
          scientific -- that's SCIENTIFIC, son - study on psi. No
          > comment?

          Here are two commentaries on the Robertson and Roy experiments. The
          commentator thinks they were fairly well designed:

          http://www.skepticreport.com/psychics/robertsonroy1.htm

          http://www.skepticreport.com/psychics/robertsonroy2.htm

          ~~ Paul
        • rubyhoney97402
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2003
            Link doesn't work.

            --- In debunkingdebunkers@yahoogroups.com, thevirtualgreek
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In debunkingdebunkers@yahoogroups.com, "Ruby Honey"
            > <rubyhoney97402@y...> wrote:
            > > Hey Paul, I posted an article on an actual, real live genuine
            > scientific -- that's SCIENTIFIC, son - study on psi. No
            > > comment?
            >
            > I assume you're referring to the article on the work by Archie Roy.
            > Not much to say about it, since there is a stunning lack of details
            > in the article. I was amused by "The results so far have been
            > assessed with hard maths and statistics." Reminds me of the ONION
            > headline: "National Science Foundation: Science Hard." Anyway, we
            > have to way for publication and duplication.
            >
            > Archie Roy has been associated with some gooey stuff in the past.
            For
            > example, from

            http://www.pharo.com/paranormal/mediums/articles/pame_06_helen_duncan.
            > asp
            >
            > "There is a curious footnote to this story. In the 1980s Midlands
            > medium Rita Goold materialised the full-form discarnate Helen Duncan
            > before a trio that included the leading British astrophysicist and

            > psychical researcher Professor Archie Roy, of Glasgow University.
            > Although Mrs Goold works in the dark, Professor Roy told of how what
            > was clearly an enormous woman abruptly sat down beside him on the
            > sofa - which duly rose up at the other end, even though he was
            > sitting on it - and began to talk to him in an authentic east
            > Scottish accent, hitting him heartily on the arm to emphasise her
            > points. Afterwards he realised she had actually hurt him. Yet
            someone
            > of her great bulk could hardly move around a darkened room without a
            > sound - especially as the sitters' ears had become hypersensitive in
            > the blackout - suggesting that she was not some kind of accomplice.
            > Or, indeed, any living human being..."
            >
            > ~~
          • thevirtualgreek
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2003
              --- In debunkingdebunkers@yahoogroups.com, "rubyhoney97402"
              <rubyhoney97402@y...> wrote:
              > Link doesn't work.

              The paragraph that I posted was the only one relevant to Archie Roy.

              ~~ Paul
            • Ruby Honey
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2003
                I don't understand the point, and, it's out of context.

                ~ ruby

                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2003
                  <rubyhoney97402@y...> wrote:
                  > I don't understand the point, and, it's out of context.

                  I thought it was interesting that Roy claims to have experienced a
                  dead fat lady sit next to him and punch him in the arm. Let's see if
                  I can get you a working URL:

                  .
                  .
                  .