Re: Some of my earlier work

  • thevirtualgreek
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18, 2003
      --- In debunkingdebunkers@yahoogroups.com, "raptor_omicron"
      <raptor_omicron@y...> wrote:
      > And since Randi says that there are NO molecules of the original
      > substance left in a homeopathic solution...unless the manufacturers
      > have access to a volume of water 30 billion times larger than the
      > Earth, Randi is wrong. Any solution produced with less solevent
      than
      > that would have more than one molecule of the substance. Given the
      > amount of solution used to prepare homeopathic remedies, all of the
      > remedies on the market would contain hundreds of molecules of the
      > original substance.

      I think I can make this clearer. Once you've diluted to 24X, you have
      about 1 molecule of the substance left. Now, if you divide that
      gallon into ten parts and mix each part with .9 gallons of water,
      you'll have 10 gallons of water, one of which has the molecule. If
      you do that again, you'll have 100 gallons of water, one of which has
      the molecule. If you do that up to 60X (30C), you'll have 50-billion-
      Earth gallons of water, one of which has the molecule. If you want to
      be guaranteed to consume the molecule, you have to drink all the
      water.

      This illustration is a tad hyperbolic, because that's obviously not
      what homeopathists do. They only make one gallon at each dilution,
      and do that 60 times. The final gallon has no molecules of the
      ingredient (well, it has a 1 in 10^36 chance of having the molecule).
      The illustration simply shows how a 60X dilution is absurd.

      ~~ Paul