OR BF

  • rubyhoney97402
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
      Bigfoot backers treated much like flying
      saucer believers at Hillsboro
      event

      Published: June 1, 2002

      By STEVE FOX
      Of the News-Register

      HILLSBORO - Ray Crowe is still
      waiting for his big moment.

      The Hillsboro resident, director
      of the International Bigfoot Society, attracted
      few hundred fellow bigfoot
      believers to the Washington County
      Fairgrounds in
      early May.

      The 10th annual conference,
      including speakers, films, artifacts and
      memorabilia, was tucked away in a
      small, dark building in the middle of the
      grounds. A dog show drew bigger
      crowds and the gem sale had top billing on the
      street signs.

      But that didn't deter bigfoot
      enthusiasts - witnesses and wannabe witnesses
      alike.

      Crowe is leader of the pack and an
      admitted wanna-be.

      He was a self-described naturalist
      when he was invited on a bigfoot seeking
      adventure in 1991. He saw tracks
      and collected 8 1/2-inch red hairs - a major
      coup for his first time out.

      But he wasn't sold on bigfoot from
      the start. He said it often takes people a
      while to overcome the grocery
      store tabloids that make bigfoot out to a be a
      farce.

      "It gives the ordinary person the
      impression we're all nuts," Crowe said. "There's
      nothing we can do. The only thing
      we could do is come up with a body."

      That isn't so easy.

      Finding a body or capturing a
      bigfoot has proved difficult. Some at the
      conference were even so bold to
      say the government doesn't want to see it
      happen.

      Why would the government care? "It
      would put the spotted owl issue to shame,"
      Crowe said.

      Displays during the two-day
      conference described bigfoot as a creature up to 8
      feet in height and 400 pounds in
      weight.

      Yet, he's elusive. That's why the
      International Bigfoot Society has field
      researchers.

      Roland A. Wolfe of Idaho, who
      wears an official field researcher badge from the
      Bigfoot Research Organization,
      said he concentrates his searches in Idaho,
      Eastern Washington and Eastern
      Oregon. He said the Blue Mountains are a hot
      area

      Looking at stacks of books lined
      up on a table during the conference, he
      recommended one: "North America's
      Great Ape: The Sasquatch," by John A.
      Bindernagel. Wolfe called it the
      bible of bigfoot books.

      As North Bend's Gordon
      Strasenburgh drew the attention of about 150 to the
      famed Patterson/Gmilin film from
      1967, a few stragglers examined castings and
      other displays. The most
      definitive film known shows a hair-covered beast
      ambling across a dry, rocky river
      bed near Bluff Creek, Calif.

      While it hasn't been officially
      disproved, most are still skeptical.

      It's similar to the 1950 flying
      saucer photos in Yamhill County. They draw some
      serious backers, but most brush it
      off.

      Several conference attendees used
      the opportunity to share stories of sightings.
      Others sought those lucky enough
      to have had sightings.

      Crowe has not had a sighting. He's
      investigated several, however.

      He remembered one in the early
      1990s, soon after starting the International
      Bigfoot Society, from south of
      Forest Grove.

      "Almost anywhere you go you'll
      find reports," Crowe said. "Anywhere you don't
      find reports, it's because there's
      no one there to report them."

      The bonus, according to Crowe, is
      that bigfoot research is done outdoors. And,
      not just outdoors, but mostly in
      remote Northwest woodlands.

      Even if he doesn't spot bigfoot,
      find tracks or discover long red hair samples, he
      can live by the common theme of
      all who seek the mysterious beast: Any day
      searching for bigfoot is better
      than a day at work.

      The News-Register of Jan. 18,
      1978, included a brief story on a reported bigfoot
      sighting near Newberg. Crowe said
      he doesn't know of any official bigfoot field
      researcher in Yamhill County,
      though.

      The Molalla River area has been a
      recent hotbed for sightings in Oregon, along
      with sections of the Columbia
      River Gorge in Multnomah County and
      less-populated parts of Clackamas
      County.

      Middle school science teacher Thom
      Powell of Portland took his turn at the
      podium during the international
      conference. He lightened the mood, but got his
      point across: He's a believer.

      He also wants some changes to the
      bigfoot culture, including no longer
      capitalizing the word. He said
      that's like capitalizing the word deer.

      Even better, according to Powell,
      would be using the terms sasquatch or wildmen.

      While the conference attracted its
      share of oddballs, there was a serious tone to
      many, even if Harry and the
      Hendersons posters were included in the displays.

      http://www.newsregister.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=151040
    • zen_witch
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
        Okay, I asked this same question in Oregon Hauntings, but I will post it here
        as well. These guys with the BFRO for the most part believe in the Patterson/
        Gimlim film being actual footage of a bigfoot. Yet these same guys go
        hunting for him and collect long reddish hairs along side the places they get
        footprint casts. Now when I watched the Patterson film, it looked to me that
        the animal/creature/man in a suit was black or very dark brown in coat...not
        reddish. Do you feel this is further evidence of the film being a hoax? Or is it
        just a different color bigfoot? I lean more on the hoax side of it and wonder
        why the BFRO guys all stand by it when they collect evidence to the contrary.
      • rubyhoney97402
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
          -I still don't know what to think of the Gimlin footage. Very well could be a hoax, it all seems so convenient, on
          the other hand, it was a hell of a lot of work to lug all that equipment around back then. We're not talking about
          a relatively lightweight video camera, but heavy awkard film equipment. And the suit as well. Plus the risk of
          being shot at by someone. Add to that all the personal intrigue of who said what, their relationship, etc. Who
          knows?

          But I think it's just a variation. You bring up a good point. The white bigfoots intrigue me; and there's a lot of
          paranormal stuff going on with white or light colored BFs, or out of place bipeds. So is it a mundane physical
          difference, or something more? If it's something more, then why are these BF researchers, like the BFRO, so
          against hearing anything about the high strangeness cases of BF, like UFOs, etc?

          Come on over to "out of place bipeds" and ask your question! :)

          Good question.

          ~ ruby