Re: [debaser] Digest Number 228

  • Darran Slator
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 13 3:03 PM
      The problem I have with a Pixies reunion is that in my opinion Frank Black
      was the major force in the Pixies and he didn't really need the other
      members - so what is the point (apart from nostalgia and financial) ?

      Darran

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15 6:42 PM
        At 23:03 13/7/2003 +0100, you wrote:
        >The problem I have with a Pixies reunion is that in my opinion Frank Black
        >was the major force in the Pixies and he didn't really need the other
        >members - so what is the point (apart from nostalgia and financial) ?
        >
        >Darran

        And my problem is that I think the Pixies split at the right time, cause I
        don't like the second half of Trompe le Monde much. Frank's solo stuff
        picked up from there, so i also don't care much about it either.

        ---------------------------------------
        Gabriel Artur
        ---------------------------------------
      • martinpercival
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
          I disagree. I thought the band were more than the sum of their
          parts and all of them played a big part, admittedly with Charles
          being the prime contributor.

          They cranked out totally classic material from 1987 to 1990 and,
          although Tromp La Monde was disappointing, it had it's
          moments. It's also hardly surprising that they couldn't keep up
          the creative pace as they were a very hard working band with big
          touring and recording commitments.

          I like the more recent Frank Black releases but I was seriously
          underwhelmed by his first few solo releases and I feel it's took
          him a long time to really get it together again. Still I'm looking
          forward to seeing him in Europe later this year.

          Nostalgia and finance as being the reasons for a reformation?
          Almost certainly. The only band imo who may have not done it for
          these reasons were Wire in 1985, simply because for the next 5
          years they only played new material and nothing from the 76 to
          80 period.

          That's my 5 cents worth!

          Martin

          --- In debaser@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel Artur <maciel@s...>
          wrote:
          > At 23:03 13/7/2003 +0100, you wrote:
          > >The problem I have with a Pixies reunion is that in my opinion
          Frank Black
          > >was the major force in the Pixies and he didn't really need the
          other
          > >members - so what is the point (apart from nostalgia and
          financial) ?

          > >Darran
          >
          > And my problem is that I think the Pixies split at the right time,
          cause I
          > don't like the second half of Trompe le Monde much. Frank's
          solo stuff
          > picked up from there, so i also don't care much about it either.
          >
          > ---------------------------------------
          > Gabriel Artur
        • Darran Slator
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2003
            > I like the more recent Frank Black releases but I was seriously
            > underwhelmed by his first few solo releases and I feel it's took
            > him a long time to really get it together again.

            I'm the opposite. I really liked Frank Black, Teenager of the Year and Cult
            of Ray and have been underwhelmed since. It's as though his music has
            become more generic.

            Darran