Re: catholics show

  • rdrossjr
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2002
      Hey all,

      I stumble across your group when searching for sources to trade
      Pixies boots. Call me a fanatic or what you will, but I read -all-
      419 of the posts in this group. And decided to join. So, hello to
      everyone, especially James, Ben, & Kevin.

      df: Funny you should mention the catholics show. I could never find
      any info about current tours and I was just driving at lunch today
      when they played Gouge Away on the radio. It was amazing. Needless
      to say I cranked it -loud-. Afterwards the dj said that Frank and
      crew were coming to town. My freind is suppossed to get us tickets
      now. Can't wait. Especially since our plans fell through to see the
      Breeders last month when my kids got sicker than dogs.

      So it seems a lot of people post to this site wondering what the
      breeders are up to (or if they still exist). I found a little (new
      to me) info in this article:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/17/magazine/17BREEDERS.html

      And I would REALLY like to know what happened to getting transcript
      of that Mojo article and the Revolver article too. I'd really like
      to read those.

      I'll shut up now and let some other people post.

      later,
      -rog.

      --- In debaser@y..., "voxxjaguar" <VoxxJaguar@a...> wrote:
      > hey this list sure is pretty dead/dormant usually, but maybe with
      the
      > current frank/catholics tour, there can be some discussion.
      >
      > i saw them last weekend here in santa barbara. great show.
      > they started and ended with The Black Rider by Tom Waits, but sped
      up
      > and done with a cowpunk rhythm. lotza fun!
      >
      > second song, was...believe it or not: Gouge Away!
      > i couldn't believe my eyes and ears, but i've seen him twice over
      the
      > years (since the pixies in nashville in early 92) and he's never
      done
      > any pixies stuff. over the course of the set, they did several
      > including Mr. Grieves, Holiday Song and Where is My Mind?
      >
      > other songs were Calistan, Headache, Dog in Sand, Dog Gone, I
      > Switched You, 666,.....(i yelled for "Hate Me" but no dice)
      >
      > Someone else please chime in and lets get a discussion going!
      >
      > df
    • voxxjaguar
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2002
        hey christy,
        thanks for writing...yeah, the frank shows i've seen were in 94/96,
        so i don't think he was up to doing old pixies stuff yet, then...
        ...it was a nice surprise for me...i just moved to SB from
        Chicago, and so it was a nice welcome to the area...i did get to see
        the breeders last year in Chi, there was a great atmosphere, mostly
        cause of the big old venue (Congress Theater)...kinda dilapidated old
        and with a big dome. The Deal's parents introduced the band (along
        with Steve Albini) so that was pretty cool.
        i guess i like it both ways (!?)... i mean, the loose and
        spontaneous breeders & also the tight, rehearsed catholics.
        ...their version of The Black Rider (twice!) was pretty loose and
        definitely a highlight of the show...have a blast at the LA show.
        maybe i'll have to come down for that one & look for you (the
        one "with bells on"? or listen for the jingles.... :)

        So what's the Troubadour like?
        (big, wide, narrow, nice people, stuffy?)
        i know this may seem unrelated but i'm thinking of going to that
        Club-A-Go-Go thing in Hollywood. I'm a sucker for garage rock!
        any thoughts or ideas about that? (see below)

        later,
        dave f

        (*******~Club Au-Go-Go Presents~*******

        THE MOJO FILTERS

        SATURDAY April 6, 2002

        @ MICELI'S Restaurant
        1646 N. Las Palmas
        Hollywood (323) 466-3438

        *~DJ's~*
        Tony The Tyger (Fuzz, Flakes and Shakes/Hipsters)
        Go-Go Guillermo (Skadrophenia)
        Leenda Karina
        Dan Electro &
        Guest DJ Matt Lundy

        Spinning Floor Shakin' 60's Freakbeat, Garage, R&B and Soul

        FREE 60's CD COMP (VOL. 10) FOR FIRST 20 PEOPLE
        Doors Open 9:30
        The Mojo Filters @ 11:15
        21+ w/ ID, $7 ($6 before 10:30)

        For more information visit our website!

        http://www.clubaugogo.com

      • rdrossjr
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
          Well... There goes my first attempt at posting. Weird.

          -roger.