Re: [Death To Religion] Re: WHAT WOULD WORLD BE LIKE WITHOUT RELIGION?

  • Dr. Newton Joseph
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 16, 2006
      From: "dantreble" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      To: <deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 6:27 PM
      Subject: [Death To Religion] Re: WHAT WOULD WORLD BE LIKE WITHOUT RELIGION?

      > C: There are the old religion-based world-views and ways of thinking
      > and there is a scientific way. Anything in between is compromising
      > both. It is unscientific to believe in evolution and that every
      > society has had religion during the whole existence of the human
      > species and then state without any evidence at all that religion is
      > not indespensible. How can you say that when you do not know what
      > religion really is?
      >

      > C: For example, why did we develop religions in the first place and
      > when?

      Anthropomorphism in the making

      By Newton Joseph

      There are dozens of theories as to why an ancient superstition of God
      and the supernatural

      can survive in this knowledgeable age.

      Some anthropologists claim the systematic anthropomorphism, that is,
      the attributes of

      human characteristics to non-human things and events. It is as though
      animism still survives

      in this scientific Twenty First Century. This certainly explains
      supernaturalism like the taking

      snake in the Garden of Eden or the bleeding or crying statues that are
      popular from time to

      time or the face of Jesus on a tortilla. The concept of the soul is
      another case in point. The

      soul a non-material essence will have all of the characteristics of a
      person with their five

      senses intact. A television program called "The Wrath of God" an
      invisible man with emotions

      anger and as the bible says "He" is also a jealous God.
      Anthropomorphism in the making. Like

      Mother Nature, Father Time and the Grim Reaper, and a hurricane is
      named Alice.

      Animism is like projection, we project our human characteristics on
      others, flood waters rage

      and the wind howls. The Rorsach test is another example of how
      projection is used.

      If anthropomorphism is hard wired into our brain what is the remedy?
      There is none for the

      majority of humankind. I would venture to say if humankind does not
      destroy themselves in

      the next two thousand years we will still have Gods. The brain will
      still anthropomorphize as a

      way of understanding non-human things and events. I hope flying
      saucers and space aliens

      who look rather anemic will finally leave us alone in the year 4000.

      drnjoseph@...

      www.atheistfellowship.com

      .
    • Mark
      Message 52 of 52 , Feb 3, 2006
        --n1n31nchn3rd wrote:
> [...]

        Humanism is not faith-based.

        > >>B: Why would someone need faith that it isn't faith based? [...]

        > > -M: You have faith that it isn't faith based[...]

        >n: You didn't answer the question. You only repeated yourself like
        always.

        -M: The faith is evidenced by the ACT of someone saying "SH is not
        faith-based."

        They have faith enough in this idea to say it.

        shanti
        Mark, Seattle