$1B Given to Faith-Based Groups in 2003

  • n1n31nchn3rd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      $1B Given to Faith-Based Groups in 2003

      Jan 2, 4:49 PM (ET)

      By LAURA MECKLER

      WASHINGTON (AP) - The government gave more than $1 billion in 2003 to organizations it considers
      "faith-based," with some going to programs where prayer and spiritual guidance are central and
      some to organizations that do not consider themselves religious at all.

      Many of these groups have entirely secular missions and some organizations were surprised to
      find their names on a list of faith-based groups provided to The Associated Press by the White
      House.

      "Someone has obviously designated us a faith-based organization, but we don't recognize
      ourselves as that," said Stacey Denaux, executive director of Crisis Ministries, a homeless
      shelter and soup kitchen in Charleston, S.C.

      Other grant recipients are religious, offering social service programs that the government may
      have deemed too religious to receive money before President Bush took office.

      Visitors to TMM Family Services in Tucson, Ariz., which received $25,000 for housing counseling,
      are greeted by a photo of Jesus and quotes from the Bible.

      "We believe that people being connected to the faith of their choice is important to them having
      a productive life," said Don Strauch, an ordained minister and executive director of the group,
      which offers a variety of social services. "Just because we take government money doesn't mean
      we back down on that philosophy."

      All told, faith-based organizations were awarded $1.17 billion in 2003. That is about 12 percent
      of the $14.5 billion spent on social programs that qualify for faith-based grants in five
      federal departments. White House officials expect the total to grow.

      The list of 2003 grant recipients provided to AP is the first detailed tally of the dollars
      behind this "faith-based initiative."

      Elected with strong support of religious conservatives, Bush came to office promising to open
      government's checkbook to religious groups that provide social services. Often, Bush says,
      religious groups do a better job serving the poor.

      Civil libertarians fear the government will wind up paying for worship, eroding the
      constitutional separation between church and state.

      Jim Towey, who directs the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, said the
      Bush administration has been clear that "government money is not to fund religious activities."

      "This is a culture change in the way government provides social services," he said. "There's
      always going to be a very delicate balance."

      In the past, government has refrained from giving money directly to religious groups, but has
      required that they set up independent, secular organizations to get taxpayer dollars. Bush tried
      to get Congress to change that. Congress refused, so he unilaterally put many of his changes
      into effect.

      To entice religious groups to apply for grants, the White House hosted several conferences
      explaining the relaxed rules and put out a book listing programs they might want to apply for.

      "We feel much more at ease," said Louis Wonderly, past president of the Luther House Foundation
      of Southern Chester County, Pa. The group was awarded $10.3 million to build an apartment
      building for low-income older people.

      "We won't have to say, 'Oh my goodness, is it terrible to have a cross hanging on a bulletin
      board?'" Wonderly said.

      It is unclear how much religion is too much religion when government money is involved. The
      courts have issued mixed rulings. The administration says a group getting federal money can
      sponsor worship and other religious activities as long as they are separated by time and
      location from activities paid by the government.

      In New Haven, Conn., Women in Search of Health Education and Spirituality got almost $500,000 to
      help AIDS patients who are just out of drug treatment. Each session begins with a daily
      affirmation, where each participant chooses something to read, religious or secular.

      The program's director, Patricia Lafayette, says a spiritual connection is emphasized.
      "Generally, that's the key to recovery," she said.

      "We pray anytime someone asks," added Joyce Poole, director of the AIDS Interfaith Network,
      which sponsors the program. "Some clients walk in and say they need a prayer and a hug and we
      stop whatever we're doing for them."

      At the federal penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kan., Life Connections got more than $50,000 to help
      inmates who are about to be freed and who volunteer to participate and pick one of six religious
      programs to follow. Activities include a two-week spiritual retreat and six weeks of intense
      religious study.

      The White House declined comment on whether these particular programs were appropriate.

      The grants on the White House list were not specifically targeted to religious organizations.
      Rather, the list includes all groups believed to be faith-based that won competitive federal
      grants open to all applicants.

      Specifically, it includes recipients of competitive grants administered by five federal
      departments: Health and Human Services, Housing and Urban Development, Education, Labor and
      Justice. Not included are the billions sent to the states for distribution.

      An AP analysis of the $1.17 billion and nearly 150 interviews in 30 states with grant recipients
      found:

      _Many are well-established, large social service providers that have received federal money for
      decades. More than 80 percent of recipients at HHS had received federal money before. At HUD,
      the figure was 93 percent.

      _Two programs account for half of the $1.17 billion total: A HUD program known as Section 202
      that builds housing for low-income poor people, and Head Start, a large preschool program for
      poor children. Both of them are dominated by longtime grant recipients that able to handle large
      amounts of money - not the small church groups sometimes evoked by the White House.

      _Many organizations insist they do not belong on a list of "faith-based organizations," even
      though they may have religious roots.

      Some have no connection at all to religion, such as You Gotta Believe!, a Brooklyn, N.Y.-based
      group that finds permanent homes for teenagers in foster care. The name is not intended to
      invoke a belief in God, but the belief that there is a home somewhere for every child.

      White House officials said the list included groups which had identified themselves as
      faith-based and groups which officials thought religious based on their names.

      "We intentionally avoid references to God and his works in our educational material so that no
      one will feel intimidated or avoid our services because they're of a different religion," said
      Sue Ortiz, a home ownership counselor at Inner City Christian Federation in Grand Rapids, Mich.,
      which got $65,000 in 2003 and $150,000 in 2004.

      But religion inspires their work, she said: "We do what we do because of God's love."